With Microsoft Windows Phone 7 now on the market, many users are discovering the Zune music and video experience on their desktop as well. Windows Phone 7 integrates your Xbox and Zune account together on your phone using a single Live ID account. But many customers are trying to make their Live ID’s the same on both the Xbox and the Zune Desktop. But from the Zune desktop you can’t chance you Live ID. However……
Now why do you want to change the Windows Live ID with your Zune account.
The reason I will do this is because I want my children to have the benefit of all the functionalities that Windows Phone 7 has to offer without draining my bank account. If I have to get the Zune Pass for me and both my children that will be a total of $48 a month. I own my children’s phones and pay their bills. This way I am in control of what they can use their Windows Phone 7 for and make a wise family choice which apps movies and music to purchase. For that same reason I have my children use my Xbox Live Gold account for the one $59.99 a year instead of $180 a year. In my situation I am saving the family over $500 a year in subscriptions and even more since we don’t have to duplicate previous purchases. Now if I could add a 4th device for my wife we can really be a total Windows Phone 7 family. 🙂 (for the Apps in the Marketplace you can actually have 5 devices using the same Windows Live ID, but for the Zune Pass only 3 ).
Microsoft really should get Family plans going for the Zune Pass and Xbox Live Gold accounts. With iTunes I can connect unlimited devices and have my family enjoy the apps and music we all bought on one account.
The Zune account let’s you connect up to 3 mobile devices. If you have more then one device in your family you can for example connect multiple Zune’s and or Windows Phone 7’s, then use the same credits, memberships, previous purchases and payment information.
A Warning!! Using this new Live ID for the purpose described above will let your family members on their Windows Phone 7 see the same Contacts, Mail, Calendar and SkyDrive items associated with this account as well as your possible Xbox Live account. A separate Live account (Your Old One) can be added. More info later.
Tip: Leave this account as empty as possible and just use it for the purpose described earlier. An extra great use of this new Windows Live ID is to use this calendar as your shared family calendar and I will be able to manage the phones in one dashboard on the devices dashboard page. (Map it, Ring it, Lock it and Erase it)
How to change Windows Live ID without losing your credits and memberships.
The Zune desktop let’s you sign in with a different Live ID account but you will lose all your credits and memberships. Most users have their Xbox account and Zune account already linked and are using the same Gamer Tag/ Zune Tag.
The Zune account won’t let you switch your account to a new Live ID, but the Xbox does !!
If you don’t have a new Windows Live ID to change it to you need to create one at www.live.com. Using the same first name and last name in your account will benefit you later on, when you have to re-set-up your Windows Phone 7. We will get to this later.
If you don’t have a Xbox you need to create a free Xbox live profile on a friends Xbox with your current (old) Live ID on your Zune account. This action will sync your user tags and your Microsoft points and Zune memberships.
Now on the Xbox you can log in onto your profile with the following steps.:
- My Xbox
- Select your Profile
- Connect to Xbox Live
- Manage Account
- Windows Live ID
- Change Windows Live ID
- Select “Yes I do”
- Enter the password of your old Windows Live ID
- Enter your new Windows Live ID and password.
- Now all your Xbox and Zune credits/memberships will be transferred for free to this new Windows Live ID account.
- On your desktop make sure you log out of f from old Windows Live ID account and sign in with your new Windows Live ID.
- Now you can see all your Credits, Memberships and Payment information are transferred over when you click on the “Settings” right next to your avatar on the top of your screen.
- In your inbox you should even have a confirmation that your Points transfer from you account was successful.
Extra Set Up for Windows Phone 7 users.
If you already had set up your Windows Phone 7 with your old Live ID account you need to unfortunately do a hard reset on your Windows Phone 7 using the following steps:
- Home Screen
- “Reset your Phone”
- In the initial set up now use your new Windows Live ID information
- Now your Windows Phone 7 will be associated again with your Xbox and Zune account.
- You can add your old Windows Live ID in the accounts set-up in which you will get your “Me” Tile back. Only if you used the same first and last name in your old and new Windows Live ID. Now you can select as well which information (Contacts, Calendar, Email) you want to sync from your old Windows Live ID. Unfortunately this is not possible with the new Windows Live ID account which was used during the initial set-up. The initial ID used with the set-up will sync all information.
Previous how to’s for Windows Phone 7
- How to quickly Search People in Windows Phone 7 Peolpe Hub
- How To Change your Picture Tile Image and Picture Hub background on your Windows Phone 7
- How to access Marketplace for Windows Phone 7 (or Zune HD) from outside the USA
- How to add (Windows Phone Radio) podcast to your Zune HD or Windows Phone 7 !