Earlier last week we found out that using the Samsung Diagnostics Toolon the Samsung Windows Phone 7 devices you could tether your device to your laptop. But using this same method will also allow you to create a Wifi Hotspot using your Samsung Focus or Omnia 7 Windows Phone 7 device.
With thethering with the Windows Phone 7 Samsung Focus and Omnia 7 uncovered last week made me go back in my draw and pull out my CradlePoint PHS-300. I used this personal Wifi hotspot 3G/4G for some earlier Windows Phone devices to create a reliable Wifi Hotspot.
Basically it used to be very simple. Connect your USB charging/data cable between your device and the CradlePoint and it would automatically send out a wifi using the data pipe line of your mobile device. However with the Samsung Windows Phone 7 you need to change some settings within the CradlePoint and activate your phone to USB Tethering.
Steps to create a Wifi Hotspot on your Samsung Windows Phone 7 using the Cradlepoint PHS-300
- Go to the Phone section (as if you were going to make a call)
- Enter ##634# and select “Call“
- It did not call anything. There should now be a “Diagnosis” option on the top of your screen;
- Go to Diagnosis and a keypad comes up and enter *#7284# – This will bring up the Micro USB Test and Path Control.
- Select Modem, Tethered Call.
- The device will restart automatically and is ready for tethering.
- Use the same steps to go back an activate the Zune Sync after your are done with the tethering.
- The next step is to set up your Cradlepoint.
- Turn on the CradlePoint (preferably with power adapter attached)
- Use a laptop to make a connection with your CradlePoint.
- use your browser to connect to the Cradlepoint by typing in the ip address 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and hit enter.
- The CradlePoint dashboard will pop up and ask for your password. The default password are the last 6 keys of the CradlePoint mac address, located on your device.
- Now go to Modem-Settings and add the following information in the 3G Settings (see image)
- Select “Save Settings” on the top of your screen and the CradlePoint will restart and is ready to go as well.
- After the Cradlepoint is restarted just connect your USB charging/data cable in between the Samsung Windows Phone and the CradlePoint and after a small moment the Cradlepoint will show a little green light right next to the the little cellphone icon and you are ready to go.
Video showing the tethering
Specifications CradlePoint PHS-300
- Up to 150 feet of WiFi Range
- Connect up to 16 Devices
- Battery Powered For Portability
- Hours of WiFi with your 3G/4G Handset/Data Modem
- Secure Out Of The Box – You Choose Who Connects To Your WiFiTethers to select Smartphones or over 100 USB Modems for WiFi access anywhere you have coverage
- Compact Size You Can Take Anywhere
- Compliant with IEEE 802.11 b/g Standards
- Take it Anywhere with Rechargable, Replaceable Batteries and an Auto Power Adapter
- MSRP $179.99
Previous how to’s for Windows Phone 7
- How To Check your Battery Status on the Samsung Focus and Omnia 7
- How to easy find the Mac Address on the Samsung Focus and Omnia 7 Windows Phone 7
- How to do more with Windows Phone 7 Messaging
- How To Share Your Zune Pass Safely with a Family Member on Windows Phone 7 and Zune HD
- How to quickly Search People in Windows Phone 7 Peolpe Hub
- How To Change your Picture Tile Image and Picture Hub background on your Windows Phone 7
- How to access Marketplace for Windows Phone 7 (or Zune HD) from outside the USA
- How to add (Windows Phone Radio) podcast to your Zune HD or Windows Phone 7