Many of you travel a lot and most of the time you should be able to connect through a Hotspot or Wifi network to read your email, surf the web or catch up with Twitter. Recently, when traveling to Sweden, I already found out that there was no Hotspot or Wifi service at the park we were staying. As I have a Dutch carrier, roaming costs were quite high if I used it in Sweden. The average price is around 10 Euros per Megabyte. With these prices you have to be very careful what you do, otherwise you are not happy when you receive your monthly bill…
So I had to find an alternative and after some research I found out that Telia has a very good mobile data service for a very fair price.
For my situation it should be ideal: I can use the simcard in my phone(s) or in my notebook and I can use it anywhere in Sweden !
It is called Telia Mobilt bredband Veckosurf and it allows you to surf the web for one week for 10 Euros. There is a datalimit of 2 GB per week, so it is perfect for checking mail, surfing the web and even download a small movie or upload your holiday pictures to the cloud.
If you happen to go to Sweden and need mobile data, you need to do this:
1. Buy a Telia Refill Prepaid card for 100 KR (10 euros)
2. Register it here: LINK (you need someone from Sweden with a Swedish social security number for this). Also enter the phone number of the prepaid card and the ICC number. Sometimes this website is down. Just call 90200 to have the card activated by a representative.
3. Buy the desired prepaid amount you would like to load to the card. 10 euro is enough for one week.
4. When you have the code press *125*prepaidcode# on your handset.
5. You receive a textmessage from 3182 which welcomes you to the Telia network and if you need more info on the prices you can dial 454.
6. Now send a text message to 4466 with the word ON in it.
7. After a short while you receive a text message from 4466 that the internet service Telia Online is now activated and can be used. I received another text message from 4466 right after the first one that my phone was not supported, but I had no problems at all connecting to the internet with my G1.
8. Configure your phone or laptop with the APN: online.telia.se without a username or password.
9. You can surf the web now !
Coverage of the Telia network is very good. On my way to the airport I did a mobile speedtest and the downloadspeed was 1.1 Mbit.
You can find a coveragemap here: LINK