Today I was present at the launch of the new highly anticipated Nokia Lumia 1020. You probably have read and seen already many article from my colleagues at WPCentral and WMPoweruser. However I was able to talk to a product manager and tested and talked more into depth about how the storage and back up works on these amazing high resolution pictures.
First of all the the camera will take only these high resolution pictures with the Pro Camera Lens app. This lens app will give you full control on many levels similar to a DSLR camera. The Nokia Lumia 1020 simultaneously takes a high resolution 38 megapixel image, and creates a 5 megapixel picture – making it easy for anyone to take professional quality images, while also instantly sharing to social networks with Windows Phone 8.
Now what happens exactly with these two images? Where are these two images being stored and where are they being backed-up. The reason for me to find out was to able to manage the storage on the Nokia Lumia 1020 since it might fill up quickly with these high resolution pictures.
Let me explain the Image Storage and Backup of the Nokia Lumia 1020 simply in a few statements:
- The 38 MP image is stored within the Pro Camera Lens App and the 5 MP version in your Camera Roll.
- When you connect your Nokia Lumia 1020 to your computer and read it as a drive, both the 38 MP and the 5 MP image are in your Picture Folder. Here you can copy,paste, delete and other apps to edit them.
- Only the 5 MP images on your Camera roll are being backed up to Skydrive.
- The 5 MP version in your camera also works as a thumbnail to re-open and edit the original 38 MP photo in the Pro Camera Lens app.
- When in edit mode you can zoom,crop and save a newly created 5 MP image to your Camera roll.
- Every edit of the same picture will be saved to your camera roll and backed-up to your Skydrive. HOWEVER only the last edited (cropped) picture of the original high 38 MP resolution will show up as a thumbnail to view again on your Nokia Lumia 1020. But again “Every edit of the same picture will be saved to your camera roll and backed-up to your Skydrive“
- Deleting the original 5 MP image from your Camera Roll will also delete the original 38 MP image from the Pro Camera Lens App.
There you have it! Basically a lot of things to know before you start shooting images with the New Nokia Lumia 1020. BUT…….We found out that AT&T has an app in their Windows Phone store which is called the AT&T Locker which is a similar app like the SkyDrive services and will automatically back up your 38 MP images. The first 5 GB are free, but the word is that they are having special deals and you can get easy more storage. A good extra back-up to have right!!
See below the Press conference.
The Nokia Lumia 1020 will be exclusive on AT&T within the United States. Pre-orders are starting on July 16th and store availability will be on July 26th for $299 with a 2-year contract.
Below is a good image that shows you all three colors (matte not glossy) and the Camera grip. The grip will come in three colors, but the image below will show you the contrast between the Camera Grip and the Nokia Lumia 1020