Having a cabin in the rural area of the Catskills in NY, I was forced to get satellite internet, since there was no availability of DSL or Cable internet. However with the huge coverage of Verizon’s 3G network I have another option for a broadband connection.
Below is a summary of the two connections I have available to me when I did my test. I am glad I was able to test this. This test has proven to me that even 3G data connection (or 4G and LTE in the future) will be my preferred internet connection over any satellite internet service that is available.
Wild Blue Satellite Internet
Details Wild Blue Satellite Internet Pro Package
- Pro Package $79.95/month
- 2 year plan
- Able to suspend service after first 3 months with no fees.
- Up to 1.5 Mbps download speed
- Up to 256 Kps upload speed
- limited to 17.000 Mb download per month
- limited to 5.000 Mb upload per month
- Mb left overs do roll over.
- Equipment fee is $99.95 or lease for $5.95 per month
- Shipping and Handling $24.95
- Set-up fee $149.95
- One hard wired device to Modem (need your own WiFi router for multiple connections)
Total Cost of the Wild Blue Satellite Pro Internet service: $2193 or $102 per month (with equipment purchased)
Real time test results for the Wild Blue Satellite internet using http://www.testmy.net/ with clear weather conditions. (I tested the Hughes satellite internet service at my neighbors and had very similar results.)
Download Speed 6 Mb:
Your connection is: 1224 Kbps or 1.2 Mbps
You downloaded at: 149 kB/s
You are running: 21 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 6.87 second(s)
Upload Speed 6MB:
Your connection is: 214 Kbps or 0.2 Mbps
You uploaded at: 26 kB/s
You are running: 4 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 39.38 second(s)
Verizon MiFi 2200
Details Verizon MiFi 2200 package.
- Retail price $269.99 with no contract, $99.99 with 2 year contact (now extra $50 discount with online order)
- 5GB /month package at $59.99/month
- $35 activation fee.
- Month–to–month, one– or two–year minimum term required per line
- 4 hrs battery life
- Download speeds from 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps
- Upload speeds from 500 Kbps to 800 Kbps
- When in Mobile Broadband markets that do not yet have EV-DO Rev. A, you can expect download speeds of 400 to 700 Kbps and upload speeds of 60- to 80 Kbps
- Connect up to 5 devices to the MiFi.
- Unlimited Verizon WiFi hotspots access.
Total cost of the Verizon MiFi 2200 5Gb/month package. $1574 or $65 per month (with equipment purchased)
Real time test results for the Verizon MiFi using http://www.testmy.net/ with clear weather conditions
Download Speed 6 Mb:
Your connection is: 1659 Kbps or 1.7 Mbps
You downloaded at: 203 kB/s
You are running: 29 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 5.04 second(s)
Upload Speed 6MB:
Your connection is: 700 Kbps or 0.7 Mbps
You uploaded at: 85 kB/s
You are running: 12 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 12.05 second(s)
At the download speed you can see a 33% increase in speed with the Verizon MiFi over the Satellite internet service. However the big difference in the upload speed, over a 300% increase with the Verizon MiFi over the Satellite internet service. If you are a VPN user, like I am, you will find out that working over VPN with Satellite Internet service will slow you down dramatically to aggravation of not able to browse on your external server. However with the MiFi with Verizon I had no issues browsing the folders on the VPN server and downloading my spreadsheets. Of course when a storm rolls over the mountain you will be less likely to lose internet service due to the weather blocking the good signal to your satellite.
Besides saving money with the Verizon MiFi data/internet service, you will have a much faster and reliable internet connection compared to any Satellite Internet service out there. Do you live in a rural area and want fast reliable internet and you have no access to cable or DSL, check out the Verizon Map and see if you have 3G available in you neck of the woods. I even think Verizon can run a separate campaign for the rural area’s and grab some of these satellite customers.